It’s the most wonderful time of the year and for many the holiday season is also the most hectic time.
Shopping, wrapping gifts, office parties, neighborhood dinners, celebrating with friends and family, cooking, baking and working are just some of the commitments that create the stress associated with the holidays, leaving you overwhelmed and exhausted.
Now more than ever you need to make time for yourself. But finding spare moments becomes more difficult than ever. Time has become a precious commodity and you have none to waste. So how do you get that break, without adding to your stress? In just 5 minutes you can do a lot to help yourself regain perspective, re-energize and feel good.
Here are 10 surefire ways to regroup, relax and refresh your hectic holiday season:
- Meditate – Find a quiet place, set your timer for 5 minutes and close your eyes. Focus on your breathing and letting the tension melt away. If you get distracted, go back to thinking about your breath. At the end of the session, you should feel more relaxed.
- Have a cup of herbal tea – Sit quietly and savor a cup of tea. Enjoy the aroma, take small sips and experience simple pleasures.
- Take a short walk – Get up and get moving. At the office, skip the coffee break and go for a walk. Enjoy the change of scenery and give your mind a rest. Even a brief walk can help elevate your spirits.
- Make a holiday list – When you have so much to do, even simple tasks can become overwhelming. Write it all down and then prioritize. When you complete a task, cross it off your list and enjoy the sense of accomplishment.
- Smile – Listen to a good joke. Watch a funny video. Think of something that makes you happy and smile. The simple act of smiling can improve your mood, lower your stress level, relax your body, and increase your productivity.
- Call a friend – Reach out and connect with those who care. If the holiday season is making you feel tense or overwhelmed, sometimes talking to a friend can help you sort it out and re-center yourself.
- Give a hug – Let those you care about know how you feel and give them a hug. The simple act of hugging has several health benefits including lowering your heart rate, blood pressure and levels of the stress hormone, cortisol.
- Let music soothe your soul – Get into a good mood. Listen to a tune you love and let the stress melt away. Research has shown that music helps your body release biochemical stress reducers.
- Dance – Tap your feet to that music and go wild for 5 minutes. You will get a great cardio workout, probably laugh along the way, and for a brief time forget about your To Do list.
- Laugh – Keep your sense of humor and enjoy the holidays.
This holiday season consider the CraveMate app for actively managing your stress. Your body and mind will thank you for it and you will certainly experience the joy the holidays have to offer.